Subject: Re: Verifying and updating NetBSD
To: Anand Buddhdev <arb@anand.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2004 09:31:00
On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> However, I cannot find any such similar mechanism for the base system.
> If I log into a NetBSD system, how do I tell what patches or updates it
> needs? Is there any tool on the system which I can run to tell me of
> unpatched software in the base system? I have read the NetBSD guide on

No tool at this time. But that does sound useful.

Also see http://www.netbsd.org/Security/patches-1.6.2.html

In many cases, you can just do a "make install" directly in the
specific directory for the source being updated.

There are plans to implement a packaging system for the base system and
there has been work on it. I don't know what its status is.

Anyways, welcome to NetBSD and thank you for your useful criticism and
also your good ideas.

Hopefully, someone else can help with your other issues and also explain
your "invalid partition table" problem.

Take care,

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links