Subject: help with sendmail SMTP AUTH and cyrus-sasl and qpopper
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: David W. Talmage <talmage@madison.onespeeddave.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/04/2004 08:30:00
Can anyone here explain why I need to have three passwords in order to
POP mail with qpopper and to do authenticated relaying with sendmail and
cyrus-sasl?  It works on my 1.6 box but I don't understand the reason
for all those passwords.  How can I get by with just one?

To use sendmail's authinfo for client authentication, I had to put a
password in /etc/mail/authinfo.

cyrus-sasl requires that I use saslpasswd2.  I gather that I need it for
CRAM-MD5 and DIGEST-MD5.  I guess that authenticates each relay user.

qpopper requires that I use qpopauth to set up a password so I can fetch
mail using APOP.

I'd like to use just one password for all three.  I don't yet see how
that's possible.

David Talmage