Subject: Re: non-root user executes root shell?
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/03/2004 14:43:23
On Sun, Oct 03, 2004 at 08:15:57AM -0400, Brian wrote:
> I've been meaning to ask; sudo is a Linux-ism, right?  Which is why it
> is not part of the standard distribution but a pkgsrc add-on?  And un*x
> "really" had just su?

The sudo manpage mentions that a history of sudo is available at
http://www.sudo.ws/sudo/history.html

The first paragraph says:

     Sudo was first conceived and implemented by Bob Coggeshall and
     Cliff Spencer around 1980 at the Department of Computer
     Science at SUNY/Buffalo. It ran on a VAX-11/750 running
     4.1BSD. An updated version, credited to Phil Betchel, Cliff
     Spencer, Gretchen Phillips, John LoVerso and Don Gworek, was
     posted to the net.sources newsgroup in December of 1985

So it predates Linux by quite a bit...
INet: khym@azeotrope.org |  they raise a paw / the bat, the cat /
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 28 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++