Subject: Ipsec NAT traversal: some legal work to do
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Emmanuel Dreyfus <manu@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 10/01/2004 15:54:10
Hello

IPsec NAT traversal (NAT-T for short) is needed when any end of an IPsec
communication are behind a network address translator. This is extremlely
useful when using IPsec for remote user access VPN. NetBSD does not
implement it.

I wrote the code, and it works, but it cannot be included in the tree because
of a legal problem: it seems MS holds a US patent on it.

I don't live in a country where software patents are legal, so I don't care,
I will use my code without contributing it to the tree. If you would like
to see NAT-T committed in NetBSD, then it is time to offer your help.

We need someone that will read carefully the patent description and check
if that covers what we do. If it does, then the position of other free OS
whould be checked: Linux integrated it, what was their legal conclusions? (for
instance, maybe they found prior art). What did OpenBSD did?

The last option can be to request a license from Microsoft, the problem there
will be to find the right person to speak with.

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
manu@netbsd.org