Subject: OS benchmark
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <sigsegv@rambler.ru>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/13/2004 21:21:50
Does anyone know of a Unix Operating System benchmark suite, which
benchmarks OS performance on a wide range, i.e. network, disk I/O,
various IPC (Interprocess Communication) performance etc. The idea is to
run as many tests as possible and compare different operating systems,
i.e. NetBSD vs Linux vs Solaris etc. Something similar to
http://bulk.fefe.de/scalability/ but on a bigger scale.

I'm sure a lot of people are interested to know which OS performs
better, and having accurate benchmarks could provide some useful info.
For example, NetBSD may perform better in some networking tasks, but
Solaris might perform better in disk I/O, or under very heavy load.

I am looking for a single package, which could run all these benchmarks
on different Unix OSes and produce some interesting numbers. If there
isn't one, I might start writing my own :-)