Subject: Re: Reading DLT does not stream?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2004 10:20:07
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Jukka Marin wrote:

> It doesn't matter whether I do "gtar tvf" or "gtar xvf", so it's not
> disk speed causing the rewind.

Uh. Doing a "gtar tvf" will mean you're limiting yourself by the speed of
the terminal, which in many cases aren't all that quick, while "gtar xvf"
means you're limiting yourself by the disk.

Try something like "dd if=/dev/rst1 of=/dev/null bs=10240" and see if it
streams.
That will make sure you're not limiting yourself by another device.

Apart from that, I'd expect there to be stops sometime when restoring from
a tape. Creating and populating files don't happen instantaneous, and
occasionally, the tape will have to wait a bit. Atleast that's what I
would expect.

 	Johnny