Subject: Re: tar/pax max file size?
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 09/01/2004 10:29:01
On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 00:12:42 +0300  Jukka Marin wrote:

> What is the maximum file size that tar/pax can handle?  I happen to have
> a 24 GB file and tar can't archive it.  I'll try gtar next..

Depends on the format.  For POSIX tar format the maximum file size
is 8GB.  I don't know if NetBSD's pax-as-tar can handle 8GB files;
it should be able to, but not all implemenations can.

I don't recall the file size limit for cpio format offhand.  Someone
else may.  It would be nice if NetBSD's pax(1) could also write pax
format archives.

Giles