Subject: Re: Flash for *BSD Petition
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Louis Guillaume <lguillaume@berklee.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/21/2004 23:42:29
Greg A. Woods wrote:

> [ On Saturday, August 21, 2004 at 00:34:13 (-0400), Louis Guillaume wrote: ]
>
>>Subject: Re: Flash for *BSD Petition
>>
>>My first instinct is to agree with this BUT that's like saying "because
>>I've heard music made with guitar that I don't like: Guitars annoying.
>>Guitars bad." It's sort of a narrow view of a single means or medium in
>>which to create content.
>

> I think your analogy sucks rather horribly.  SWF vs. HTML is apples
> vs. oranges -- it's not even remotely a matter of "all the SWF I've seen
> is bad therefore all SWF is bad."

I don't believe the analogy compared SWF vs HTML. Rather SWF vs. browser
content, which is like apples vs. fruit or guitars vs. musical instruments.

>>It so happens that many web developers out there have chosen flash as
>>their medium and as a result, many clients out there know that animated
>>or "flashy" content is an option and want it.
>

> The WWW, especially the part people read/view, is (supposed) to be about
> _standards_ compliant HTML.  HTML is primarily about words, and the
> stuff that gets embedded is supposed to be incidental or supplemental.

Really? Who says that HTML is the be-all and end-all of the WWW?

> It's one thing to have images and even really basic animated images
> embedded in an HTML page (a good and appropriate picture can be worth a
> thousand words), but it's another thing entirely to usurp HTML
> completely and send what amounts to _code_ for the browser to execute,
> and that's exactly what "flash" stuff usually is used to do.
>
> Foreign code _BAD_.  Foreign code _DANGEROUS_.  Foreign code _HURTS_.

Now you've got a great point there and I fully agree. Foreign code is
truly an evil thing. However...

> This "SWF" media crap really must die.

...that ain't gonna happen! What about JavaScript and PostScript? That's
foreign code too.

What would be good is an Open and portable standard for Flash-like
content. Then the developers of plugins and containers that execute this
content on the client machine would be able to reliably provide
protection from evil foreign code.

>>I've had a client ask me to produce a site with animation on the front
>>page. I tried to talk them out of it because many people will not be
>>able to view the animation or are annoyed by it. Their response was,
>>"Well we trust your creative ability. We believe that you can produce an
>>animated page that people will like and an alternate for those who can't
>>view it. So do it" Whether I actually have that creative ability or not
>>is not the issue. The issue is that I *could*.
>

> Sadly there are a huge number of idiots out there who don't bother to
> create that alternate page for those who choose not to download and
> execute foreign code....

And that is, I agree, idiotic and rampant. It's too bad.

Perhaps it would be better to have a petition to get Macromedia to give
out the code instead of having them build us a potentially dangerous
black box.

Louis