Subject: Re: history anyone?
To: Andreas Drewke <andreas_dr@gmx.de>
From: Chris Wareham <chris.wareham@iosystems.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/20/2004 15:20:12
Andreas Drewke wrote:
> Hmm I am using now NetBSD/i386 and NetBSD/macppc for 2 years and I never
> noticed that I am missing something- but now somehow I found out that its a
> littly annoying that the cursor arrows (up/down) are not usable in any
> console on both of these platforms...
>
> I mean something useful like command history which you can browse normally
> with the arrow keys...
>
> Is there a way to enable it- it should be done by default too I guess, because
> this is something that users just await... Or am I wrong?
>
> Regards
> Andreas

If you're using the standard NetBSD /bin/sh, them add the following line
to your ~/.shrc file:

set -o emacs

This enables command line history with the up and down cursor keys, as
well as various Emacs like editing commands. Ctrl-A moves cursor to line
end, Ctrl-E moves to line end and Ctrl-K deletes any text from the
current cursor position to the end of line.

Chris