Subject: Re: slow GNOME
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Ian P. Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2004 08:05:58
On Aug 16, 2004, at 7:02 AM, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've managed to install KDE 3.2.1 and it's running quite fine.
> The only thing i feel is, that i think that it is quite slow.
> Some applications are opening faster than other.
> E.g. Mozilla Firefox takes quite long to open.
> And after being opened the little jumping icon jumps for a long time
> until
> it disappears.
> I'm running a 1.5 GHz Intel Pentium 4 /w 512MB RAM.
> Anyway. It works and thats ok.
>
> On ther other side GNOME.
> I installed GNOME 2.4.2 and finally managed it to run (exec
> gnome-session).
> Gnome starts (nautilus), but any application i try to open takes very
> very
> long or even does not open.
> At the beginning i'm also getting the message that the machine cannot
> resolve the hostname (log in anyway) which leads that the Browser does
> not
> open a web site.

Make sure there is an entry in /etc/hosts for your hostname.  If your
host name is not resolvable; for instance, it includes a domain name
you don't have registered, gnome will have problems.

Example in /etc/hosts:
192.168.1.3	computer.myhome.org slowpoke

man hosts(5) for all the gory details.  pkgsrc has Gnome 2.6.2 now.
This is quite a bit more polished than the 2.4.x series, IMHO.  It
seemed less bloated and was usable on my Pentium 233 with only 192 MB
of RAM.  YMMV.

Ian Thomas