Subject: Re: updating NetBSD-current on a network
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Holger Weiss <lists@jhweiss.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/16/2004 04:00:31
* <sigsegv@rambler.ru> [2004-08-16 03:22]:
> What would be a good way to update NetBSD hosts on a network, i.e. I
> have a single development machine, on which I download src, xsrc and
> compile the base system, other machines on the network are too slow for
> such tasks. I'd like to update those machines, but not sure how, I
> suppose I could copy sets across the network and unpack them on each
> machine,

Yes.

> What parts of the /usr/src tree do I need to run "./build.sh install=/"
> successfully?

You need the contents of DESTDIR. That is, you could build the base
system using './build.sh -U -D /usr/dest distribution' and then install
it using './build.sh -U -D /usr/dest install=/'. Note that this does not
install a new kernel. Alternatively, you could './build.sh release' in
order to build all sets and then unpack them manually. In both cases,
I'd use pkgsrc/sysutils/etcupdate for updating /etc (and /dev, /root,
/var).

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE