Subject: Re: cross compiling pkgsrc?
To: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2004 09:26:20
On Fri, 6 Aug 2004, Julian Coleman wrote:

> > I am aware that the base NetBSD stuff can now be cross compiled for
> > other platforms, but is this the case for pkgsrc?  Can I use my nice,
> > fast, grunty PC to compile pkgsrc stuff for the O2?
>
> I don't think you can.

Nope, not yet anyway.  The problem is mainly that nearly every third party
package maintainer uses roll-your-own build systems where cross-compiling
was never imagined, and thus doesn't work out of the box.

Some packages are easier than others to get working (most Automake-ified
packages work with little or no twiddling, a notable exception being
glib/gtk), whereas many require significant build system changes to make
cross-compiling work.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>