Subject: Re: cross compiling pkgsrc?
To: Malcolm Herbert <mjch@mjch.net>
From: Julian Coleman <jdc@coris.org.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/06/2004 13:16:18
> I am aware that the base NetBSD stuff can now be cross compiled for
> other platforms, but is this the case for pkgsrc?  Can I use my nice,
> fast, grunty PC to compile pkgsrc stuff for the O2?

I don't think you can.  In:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2004/07/15/0008.html

Matthias Scheler wrote:

> It is not. There is work underway but it is still experimental.

After discovering that unpacking perl (.bz2) took roughly 45 hours on a
Sun 3/80 (not enough memory), I run `make patch` on a faster machine first.
Of course, this doesn't help for the actual compiling stage, but every bit
helps ;-)  I have:

  WRKOBJDIR?=/usr/obj/pkg/${MACHINE_ARCH}

in my /etc/mk.conf, and /usr/obj is exported from a faster machine, so it's
easy to say:

  cd /usr/pkgsrc/<cat>/<pkg> && WRKOBJDIR=/usr/obj/pkg/m68k make patch

on the faster machine.

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/