Subject: Re: filesystem issues after rude powerdown
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: dieter <dieter.NetBSD@pandora.be>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 08/03/2004 13:01:00
On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, Brian wrote:

> I tried the dd copy (the point being to force write to the blocks, to see if
> the IDE drive hardware would remap the bad stuff using reserved areas, yes?)
> and the copy reportedly completed successfully, but the areas remain bad
> during fsck. (I did overwrite the magic number for the parition but that's
> fixable.  I guess "disk sector 756" equals "block 736" i.e. the first one of
> the /tmp partition).

I have seen at least one disk that even when rewriting the bad sectors
didn't remap them, unless I also disabled the write cache (see dkctl(8)).
It's also possible your disk ran out of spare sectors to remap to(*), in
which case I'd buy a new disk. Maybe you need to do that anyway...

(*) If you have smart support, you can check that with atactl.

> Brian

Kind regards,
Dieter

--

 	There is virtue in doing the right thing just for
 	the sake of doing it right.  -- Nicholas Petreley