Subject: Re: porting source to netbsd...
To: Laurent Marechal <MARECHAL@nl.ibm.com>
From: Dave <spam@pianocast.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/28/2004 16:04:54
  Your idea is use a NetBSD kernel with the userland of another OS?
If so, in the case of Linux, the Debian crew has already done some
work on that (not sure it isn't out of date):

    http://www.debian.org/ports/netbsd/

  In the case of Solaris, if you took advantage of COMPAT_SUNOS kernel
emulation (see options(4)),

    http://netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?options+4+NetBSD-1.6

it might give you just enough success/momentum to motivate you to go
back and do a native port (i.e., not relying on emulation).  Or not...

  In the case of Aix, AFAIK you'd be starting from the drawing board;
and if I'm understand correctly, you'd have to (re-)implement any Aix
kernel subsystems not already present in NetBSD for which you wanted
to port the Aix userland code.  (Similarly for Linux and Solaris if
done w/o emulation, of course).

Cheers,  --Dave