Subject: Re: Need to run a .jar file
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/27/2004 16:19:32
In message <20040727182312.A0B0C1AE6F@berkshire.research.att.com>, "Steven M. B
ellovin" writes:

>>I just removed it and installed lang/sun-jdk14. Now the -jar option is
>>there, but now whenever I try to run it (for anything other than just doing
>>"java -?"), I get the following error:
>>
>>   Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM warning: Can't detect initial thread stack
>>location
>>   Error occurred during initialization of VM
>>   Could not reserve enough space for object heap
>>
>>I'm running a more-or-less GENERIC -current kernel built from sources about
>>10 days ago (userland is the July 15 -current snapshot from
>>releng.netbsd.org). This is running in a VMWare client VM with 256MB of
>>memory allocated to it. Is there some option I need to put in my kernel
>>config? A missing library?
>>
>'ulimit -d 262144' will get rid of the "Could not reserve enough space"
>problem.  The message about the thread stack is a warning; I don't know
>how to make it go away, but it doesn't seem to hurt, at least in the
>few cases I've tried lately.

Thinking more about the thread stack message, I realized that I hadn't
tried any threaded programs...  I did google for the phrase, and found
this note:

http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg60015.html

I have /proc mounted; here's my fstab entry:

	procfs          /proc   procfs  rw,linux

but I'm still seeing the message.  Any suggestions?