Subject: Re: Global pkgsrc update
To: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
From: Dan McMahill <dmcmahill@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/23/2004 00:42:18
On Thu, Jul 22, 2004 at 11:15:21PM -0400, Brian Rose wrote:
> I have decided to add some software to a netbsd machine that has been up
> and running for several months, maybe a year with no updates. Upon running
> 'lintpkgsrc -i' I have found that many (about 15) of my packages are out of
> date. Is there a global update that will update all my old packages, or do
> I need to write them all down and update them one at a time?

What I always do is do a chroot-ed bulk build (see /usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt)
using the "build -s" option (again see /usr/pkgsrc/Packages.txt).  This
will let you list what you actually want, for example you might list kde,
mozilla, and tetex, and the bulk build will create binary packages for
all the packages you will actually need.

The bulk build should rebuild whatever is out of date.

When I see that I'm able to complete the build of all the packages
I need, I typically pkg_delete whats installed and pkg_add the
newly built ones.

If you use a different directory for binary packages on each big
upgrade you can have a fallback if you find newer pkgs don't actually
work.

This works for me, but there are many ways to do this.  For me, a big
benefit is that I don't have all the downtime while new pkgs are
being built.

-Dan