Subject: Re: Question on speeding up zone file access
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/21/2004 15:46:46
On 21.07-21:27, Simon Burge wrote:
> > Hm, I didn't think of that. How can I find out,
> > where all the disk access is coming from?
> >
> > (A question I wanted to solve for a long time!)
>
> You could try something like "iostat -x wd0 1" to see if the disk
> traffic is read or write (or both).  Otherwise, you could try killing
> off various processes until the traffic stops.  Not very scientific
> though...

Thanks, will try that.

> > I tried named once but it couldn't manage the zone files. I can't remember
> > if it just died or if it took insanely long to start up...
>
> Although I don't use named here on any large zones, I would have thought
> that it should be able to easily handle 11MB of zone data.  What sort of
> machine and how much RAM?

Pentium4 2.4GHz / 512MB Ram / aic7899 SCSI / 2x36GB SCSI Disks

Ugh, actually I misread the size of the zonefiles:
They are 2x about 55MB thats about 110MB in total.

Should still fit in memory though.

AFAIK, rbldnsd has a somewhat optimized zonefile format.
When converted to BIND format, a 55MB rbldns zonefile
grows to 286MB.
I guess, rbldnsd generates TXT records dynamicallly
while BIND needs them in the zonefile.

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch