Subject: Re: Question on speeding up zone file access
To: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 07/20/2004 08:19:28
On Tue, 20 Jul 2004, Christoph Kaegi wrote:

> I am running an rbl secondary with about 300-600 requests/s, and naturally,
> there are lots of reads on the zonefiles.
>
> The 3 zonefiles are about 11MB in size.
>
> I would like to have them fully cached in memory.
> What would be the best way to achieve that in NetBSD?

What software are you using for serving this DNS?

I'd guess that it is already fully cached in memory. Look at top or ps
output. (Probably using named, the default.)

Does fstat show the zone files being read?

Also, you could try using djbdns or rbldns. See pkgsrc/net/djbdns.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/