Subject: Firewall between VLAN interfaces
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christoph Kaegi <kgc@zhwin.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/28/2004 10:34:15
Where I work, we are successfully using several NetBSD systems
as firewalls.
Now we are planning a firewall with more than 4 connected networks
and we'd like to implement this with a trunk connection from one
physical network interface to a cisco switch, carrying several
802.1q VLANs and IPFilter filtering between them.

The machines will most likely be Supermicro systems with
Intel i82546EB NICs (wm driver).

While I'm sure, that this "should work", I am interested in
reports from people who actually did ipfilter between VLANs.
I don't want to buy the hardware and then find out, there is a
subtle limitation or buglet nobody has time to fix.
(me not beeing capable of fixing kernel things myself)

I also guess, I'd have to run NetBSD 2.0 on it, wouldn't I?

Thanks very much for your feedback

Chris

Christoph Kaegi                                           kgc@zhwin.ch