Subject: Re: gdm and kdm are broke after reinstalling X using xsrc
To: Ian Thomas <ipthomas@mac.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/09/2004 11:13:09
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Ian Thomas wrote:

> Shared object "libXdmcp.so.6" not found
>
> 	and when attempting to start kdm
>
> Shared object "libXau.so.6" not found
>
> 	I have the files,
>
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXdmcp.a
> /usr/X11R6/lib/libXau.a
>
> 	, but no *.so.6 files for either.  Can someone let me know if these
> are included with a working X?

Usually the shared libraries are not provided with XFree86 libs. The
pkgsrc XFree86-libs package does not provide them. And NetBSD 1.6.2
doesn't.

>  Any other suggestions on how to fix
> this?  I can include the log files specified above if that would be
> helpful.

One idea is to rebuild pkgsrc/x11/gdm and pkgsrc/x11/kdebase2 (or whatever
else really used those now-missing shared libraries).

>  I'm running 2.0_BETA right now.

It seems like I read something about this this last few months or so about
how some versions of XFree86 with NetBSD -current were building them.

 Jeremy C. Reed

 	  	 	 BSD News, BSD tutorials, BSD links
	  	 	 http://www.bsdnewsletter.com/