Subject: Audio not playing
From: Ian McIntosh <ianm@cat.co.za>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 06/03/2004 16:54:00
Hi all

I am having a strange problem trying to get audio to play out on my
on-board audio device. When I try play audio I get nothing out. I have
checked
the speakers and know they work. When playing a .wav file using audioplay
it would seem to play normally, although nothing would come out of the
speakers. I have plugged the speakers into the line-in, mic and line-out
ports,
just in case they were marked incorrectly, with no success. I felt that the
problem may have been a hardware problem with the motherboard,
but I have reproduced the problem on another system with the same
motherboard. Its probably unlikely that both systems have the
same hardware fault.

What I would really like to know is if there are there any other tools
or mechanisms that I can try to hunt down the problem? and if so what
are they?

As always any thought and suggestions are much appreciated and I thank you
in advance

Ian McIntosh

Kernel:
1.6.2_STABLE

dmesg:
NetBSD 1.6.2_STABLE (V5_161)....
cpu0: Intel Pentium III (Tualatin) Xeon (686-class), 1197.72 MHz
cpu0: I-cache 16 KB 32b/line 4-way, D-cache 16 KB 32b/line 2-way
cpu0: L2 cache 256 KB 32b/line 8-way
cpu0: features 383f9ff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR>
cpu0: features 383f9ff<PGE,MCA,CMOV,FGPAT,PSE36,MMX>
cpu0: features 383f9ff<FXSR,SSE>
total memory = 511 MB
avail memory = 468 MB
auich0 at pci0 dev 31 function 5: i82801BA (ICH2) AC-97 Audio
auich0: interrupting at irq 10
auich0: ALG16 codec; headphone, 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, Realtek 3D
auich0: measured ac97 link rate at 47999 Hz, will use 48000 Hz
audio0 at auich0: full duplex, mmap, independent