Subject: Re: slow disk access with large cpg values
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/22/2004 22:37:28
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> frederick mentioned that there was some change of the method how newfs
> works with these numbers. cannot be system confused how to handle disks
> with so different 'cpg/sgs' values?

I wouldn't think so... The thing that changed most is the "disk
layout" code, that is, how the kernel decides exactly where to place
each individual block, when it's creating or appending a file.
Naturally, the characteristics of the file system set at "newfs" time,
or possibly by "tunefs", interact with that. (FYI, "sgs" =3D "Segment
Shift" is simply the alternate interpretation for that field for LFS
file systems.)

I don't think upgrading 1.6ZK to current would help much, as I seem to
remember that the relevant changes happened much earlier in the cycle.
You might try using even larger blocks, like 32k, or playing with the
parameters to "tunefs(8)". It might not be a bad idea to go ahead and
build a file system on the new disk using a 1.6.2 floppy, just to rule
out the hardware completely.=A0You said the disks are identical -- could
you use "dkctl" to verify that the write cache is on for the new disk?

Frederick