Subject: install problems on 2.0beta on i386
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/18/2004 20:41:08
I built a new install CD, from today's 2.0beta source, and used it for
a fresh installation.  The installation didn't work -- or rather, the
resulting system was unbootable.  I rebooted the install CD, and ran
installboot and fdisk to make sure I had both boot mechanisms
installed; after that, it worked.  I'm not sure where the failure was
-- I ran through the installation twice -- but if it helps, the first
time I got a GRUB prompt (the disk had had Red Hat 9.0 on it).

It's possible, of course, that I mis-specified some option, but if so
it was quite non-obvious what I did wrong.  (I specified that NetBSD
should have the entire disk.)