Subject: Re: Developing Unix services
To: Brian Rose <lists@brianrose.net>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/14/2004 09:30:22
On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Brian Rose wrote:

> I am interested in developing some services for NetBSD and Unix in
> general and I was wondering where to start reading  up on the various
> mechanisms that I can use to do this. I am having some trouble finding
> useful information on the 'net - probably because I don't know what
> magic phrases to search for.
>
> What I am interested in doing is having some programs that monitor
> various pieces of hardware, process the data, and make the data
> available to other programs, either remote or local or both. I figure
> each step is going to have several different ways to accomplish the goal.
>
> Here are some of the topics I am interested in:
>
> Services - how to write them for easy start/stop/restart/config
> Shared memory/pipes - how to move data between separate programs
> Crashdumps - how to generate them so i can get useful info out of a
> failed program
>
> I'm not a unix developer, but i have written C/C++ code for VxWorks, and
> (gasp) Windows. I really need to get up to speed on the Unix way of
> doing some of these things, and I just need a push in the right
> direction. I know this is a pretty broad request, but all I'm looking
> for is Google food. If you have any links for the above or any other
> topics that you think would be useful for my goals, I would appreciate them.
>
> Thank you,
>

> --
>
> Brian

Hm,

probably you should get Steven's book "Advanced Programming in the UNIX
Environment".

Daemon programming ("service") is described here (well, the start/stop
scripts you have to write yourself, copy and modify any example that comes
with netbsd, found e.g. in /etc/rc.d).

Stevens also takes a look at shared memory, pipes, ... I think this one
describes nearly everything one needs to know (well, except sockets and
threading).

ISBN is 0-201-56317-7

-Florian