Subject: Re: ifconfig
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, christianbiere@gmx.de>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2004 02:39:17
On Tue, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:50:27AM +0200, Christian Biere wrote:
> enami tsugutomo wrote:
> > joda@pdc.kth.se (Johan Danielsson) writes:
> > I often use 0 as shorthand of 0.0.0.0
>
> Ok, shorthand use. But would you use that in a script or program? If 0
> were not acceptable any longer, ifconfig would barf at you and you'd
> have to try luck again. At least, you're the only one which objected
> so far (if I didn't misunderstand the other replies). Or maybe:

You misunderstood the other replies.  It's not the job of a Unix
utility to prevent system administrators (who should, after all,
know better -- and who could, easily enough, RTFM if they didn't)
from hosing their systems with invalid input.

Unix utilities don't try to guess what you _really_ meant to type
on the command line; that's your job.  Unix gives you enough rope;
tie knots or hang yourself, but the rope's all there.

Thor