Subject: Re: ifconfig
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org, christianbiere@gmx.de>
From: Curt Sampson <cjs@cynic.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2004 12:34:26
On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Christian Biere wrote:

> ...meant "set the MTU to 1500" but ifconfig got "set the inet address
> to 1500". I could imagine that due to backwards compatibility someone
> relies on this feature.

There are quite a few things out there that accept a 32-bit int in
decimal form as an IP address. I find it very difficult to believe that
anything relies on that; who the heck remembers that their IP address is
3232235778 or whatever?

And of course these programs are already assuming IPv4 rather than IPv6.

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.NetBSD.org