Subject: Re: Getting X up and running (dotclock)
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/02/2004 17:06:56
In message <Pine.LNX.4.43.0403012223470.3269-100000@pilchuck.reedmedia.net>, "J
eremy C. Reed" writes:
>On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Sam Carleton wrote:
>
>> No, I have the NEC FP2141, I run WinXP on it at 1920x1440
>> @ 85Hz, so I think it will handle everything and anything
>> the video card can put out:)
>>
>> > If not, just try defaults first.
>> >
>> > Try to run XFree86 using that generated config.
>>
>> It ran, just at 640x480
>
>Have a look at the /var/log/XFree86.?.log file. It will tell you what
>depths and modes are available.

If I recall correctly, the generated config files don't include the
resolutions; you have to add them manually.

>Try running with "-depth 24" and try using CTRL-ALT-PLUS (or -MINUS,
>using Plus or Minus  on the numpad) to change video modes.
>
>> and I did not have a windows
>> manager installed yet.  Which windows manager do folks
>> recommend?  Last time I messed with X Windows I used
>> fvwm2, a bit old by todays standards.
>
>I don't like fvwm2. Blackbox is what I use. IceWM is also fine (but may be
>still broken in pkgsrc).
>
>> Ok, so is dotclock simply the refresh rate to run at?
>
>The DotClock is different than the refresh rate.

I believe that modern hardware doesn't need DotClock set.

>> In the book I have, the old out of date one, there are two
>> different sets of four numbers after the dotclock, one is
>> horiz and the other is vert.  Should I simply leave those
>> blank?
>
>You could set VertRefresh and HorizSync for your monitor.
>
>I used google and found a PDF at
>http://www.necmitsubishi.com/corpus/P/3/brochure_fp912sb_fp2141sb_4page2.pdf

Yes -- Google is your friend.  There are monitor databases out there;
I've found the specs for seriously unusual monitors that way.