Subject: Re: Password demands?
To: Bruce J.A. Nourish <netbsd@bjan.freeshell.org>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/24/2004 18:48:25
On Mon, Feb 23, 2004 at 12:25:27AM +0000, Bruce J.A. Nourish wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 22, 2004 at 11:08:21PM +0100, Vincent van Scherpenseel wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Is it possible to change the password demands set for passwd? In example: if a
> > user enters a password shorter than x characters, it will be rejected. Or, if
> > a user enters a password containing only letters, it will be rejected. I know
> > there are some demands set by default, but they are not forced (users are
> > adviced to choose a different password, but they don't *have* to). Also I
> > would like to change the minimum password length. Is it possible to change
> > this, and if yes, where?
>
> The software you really want for this is cracklib, security/libcrack in
> pkgsrc. The problem with this is that you have to modify passwd to make
> the cracklib FacistCheck() call. This isn't particularly hard, but then
> your local src tree is divergent from the NetBSD tree, with all the
> maintainence agony that brings. For a large site with many lusers the
> benefits would be worthwhile, but it's probably too much hassle for
> everyone else.

How about having passwd run an external program that accepts the
proposed new password on stdin?  A response could be ACCEPT or REJECT.

Use of this could be enabled by login.conf.

No, I'm not volunteering.
"Not even the dumbest terrorist would choose an encryption program that
 allowed the U.S. government to hold the key." -- (Fortune magazine
    is smarter than the US government, Oct 29 2001, page 196.)