Subject: Re: galeon hangs
To: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040222T171721@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2004 20:53:57
In message <x7k72etwoj.fsf@capsicum.wsrcc.com>, "Wolfgang S. Rupprecht" writes:

>smb@research.att.com (Steven M. Bellovin) writes:
>> The problem does indeed seem to be related to locking in Mozilla 1.6.
>> Kouichirou Hiratsuka's solution (see
>> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2004/02/20/0001.html ) seems to
>> have solved the problem for me.
>
>It has made things better here too.  I'm not sure the "big lock"
>approach is all roses though.  I now see stalls where a slow DNS
>server answering the first query blocks all other queries.  At least
>now things eventually clear (usually after a minute) instead of
>hanging forever.
>
>I'm still not sure why BIND didn't like the 3 queries on one UDP src
>port.  I asked about this on comp.protocols.dns.bind but the usenet
>posts are still awaiting a moderators stamp of approval.

I agree -- things aren't great.  It takes a lot longer for direct
access to open a folder than via the proxy, and since the proxy I'm
using is on the other side of the continent from me I don't think it's
a caching issue.

The current fix makes things work; it doesn't make them work well.
There's still something wrong.