Subject: Re: X won't run on new 1.6.1 install
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?q?Lex=20Hider?= <lexxx_h@yahoo.com.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/20/2004 00:16:19
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2004/02/19/0001.html
for 1st post.
*************
I got 2 help offers.
a) install aperture. this didn't help. I think this is
meant to fix
probs with mtrr but I'm pretty sure that's not the
problem.
b) run XFree86 -configure. but I can't get this to run
or xf86cfg [i think they might be the same].X simply
will not start

running with setup in xf86config [the text one] with
vesa
gives a ...
*********
Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved!
**
at the end.
Basically this this is where the problem seems to be
rooted.
I either get one or many of the form..

Symbol foo from module /some/funny/file.[x] is
unresolved!

and X never comes up!

I have reinstalled and the problem is the same with a
''virgin''
install.

This is really annoying has anyone got any other
ideas?
My 1st venture into NetBSD isn't going very well.

[please cc me so I can get this quickly but I will
check the
archives too]

Lex.

PS - can anyone give me instructions on recompiling X.
I wouldn't have thought that this could fix it but I
suppose
it couldn't hurt. I might try that as a last resort
though.
I assume i'll need
$FREEBSD_MIRROR/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/xsrc.tgz

what else do I need and what do I do?
http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/
doesn't seem to really mention how to do this or how
recompile the userland?

also trying to install Xree86-4 from pkgsrc
says I can't do it from 1.6.1.

anyway please help [hopefully w/out an X11 compile] ;]

Is this an isolated case?

http://au.movies.yahoo.com