Subject: Re: X won't run on new 1.6.1 install
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hernani Marques Madeira <hernani@tuners.ch>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/19/2004 19:50:38
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 08:02:31 -0800 (PST)
Sascha Retzki <lantis@linux.net> wrote:

> Hi lex. Well, unresolved symbols is stuff in libraries, connecting to
> other libs ( ? ) and saying something like " look into libbla.so,
> there is the rest". If this libary is missing, programms give out such
> errors afaik. This means that your installation is missing something,
> should not be, by the way. Deleting X and recompiling it completely
> from source would be my first thought. Its not an isolated case, had
> some problems with X under NetBSD, too. Solved it via a recompilation
> :)  ...

Aehm, strange, but the last two times I had this problem (on two
different i386 machines -- after installing 1.6.1) I resolved it by
recompiling a new kernel -- GENERIC -current.

Newer -current kernels are available pre-compiled via releng.netbsd.org
in the directory /pub/NetBSD-daily/current/.

It's advisable to first saving the old kernel -- in case the new one
shouldn't work.

Hernani