Subject: Re: X won't run on new 1.6.1 install
To: netbsd-users@NetBSD.org <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Sascha Retzki <lantis@linux.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/19/2004 08:02:31
>--- Lex Hider <lexxx_h@yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2004/02/19/0001.html
>for 1st post.
>*************
>I got 2 help offers.
>a) install aperture. this didn't help. I think this is
>meant to fix
>probs with mtrr but I'm pretty sure that's not the
>problem.
>b) run XFree86 -configure. but I can't get this to run
>or xf86cfg [i think they might be the same].X simply
>will not start
>

>running with setup in xf86config [the text one] with
>vesa
>gives a ...
>*********
>Symbol xf86InterpretEDID from module
>/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvbe.a is unresolved!
>**
>at the end.
>Basically this this is where the problem seems to be
>rooted.
>I either get one or many of the form..
>
>Symbol foo from module /some/funny/file.[x] is
>unresolved!
>
>and X never comes up!
>
>I have reinstalled and the problem is the same with a
>''virgin''
>install.
>
>This is really annoying has anyone got any other
>ideas?
>My 1st venture into NetBSD isn't going very well.
>
>[please cc me so I can get this quickly but I will
>check the
>archives too]
>
>Lex.
>
>PS - can anyone give me instructions on recompiling X.
>I wouldn't have thought that this could fix it but I
>suppose
>it couldn't hurt. I might try that as a last resort
>though.
>I assume i'll need
>$FREEBSD_MIRROR/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/xsrc.tgz
>
>what else do I need and what do I do?
>http://www.netbsd.org/guide/en/
>doesn't seem to really mention how to do this or how
>recompile the userland?
>
>also trying to install Xree86-4 from pkgsrc
>says I can't do it from 1.6.1.
>
>anyway please help [hopefully w/out an X11 compile] ;]
>
>Is this an isolated case?
>
>Find local movie times and trailers on Yahoo! Movies.
>http://au.movies.yahoo.com

Hi lex. Well, unresolved symbols is stuff in libraries, connecting to other libs ( ? ) and saying something like " look into libbla.so, there is the rest". If this libary is missing, programms give out such errors afaik. This means that your installation is missing something, should not be, by the way. Deleting X and recompiling it completely from source would be my first thought. Its not an isolated case, had some problems with X under NetBSD, too. Solved it via a recompilation :)  ... .
Well, you need
>$FREEBSD_MIRROR/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets/xsrc.tgz
( $NETBSD_MIRROR would be nice *G* )
Its $NETBSD_MIRROR/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6.1/source/sets
for my investigation :)) ... . Well, I downloaded some other packages, maybe you search the ftp-section of your mirror for this packages:
xsrc.tgz
top-level.tgz
xfree.tgz
local.tgz
contrib.tgz
I have NO plan for what they are, but I unpacked they to /usr, then got to /usr/xsrc .. "make", "make install", X-server works :)

Maybe some NetBSD-cracks correct me, though my way should work, too .. . try it :) .. .
Furthermore, pkgsrc-current seems to be down atm ( topic -> #netbsd@IRCNet ), if X is part of pkgsrc too, try pkgsrc-2003Q4 .

Greetz

Sascha Retzki

Linux.Net -->Open Source to everyone