Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2004 11:26:56
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> i've got another question concerning using setup 3). i uncommented ttyE0 in
> /etc/ttys, but i cannot login from ttyE0/console (it's reported as console).

You can't have a getty on both "console" and on the actual console.
That's two gettys fighting for the same device! The "console" device
is supposed to be a convenience for sysinst and for new setups, that
magically gives you a login on the console, wherever that happens to
be. (Many computers won't have a VGA console, or won't have a serial
console, so otherwise, if you forget to change "/etc/ttys", you can't
login at all.) I would recommend for you to comment out "console",
and start gettys explicitly on "tty00" and "ttyE0".

Frederick