Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/14/2004 09:18:56
On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> finally i got it working. thanks to all who replied and helped me with the
> setup, i appreciated it very much.
>
> i just have few more questions:
>
> 1) when i'm on commandline on my computer that has the serial console connected,
> i can switch vitrual consoles, but both ctrl-alt-f1 and ctrl-alt-f2 are
> /dev/ttyE1. there are also /dev/ttyE2 and /dev/ttyE3. that's ok, i've ttyE0
> turned off in /etc/ttys as console is normally running there (what happens if i
> enable ttyE0 and boot with consdev pc? will system panic? will i have
> problems?).

No, it won't panic, but the getty will flog itself to death if you
haven't configured "screen 0" in "/etc/wscons.conf". (When ttyE0 is
console, that's automatic.) Typically, screen 0 is configured and does
double duty as console and as a login session. It is mildly annoying
that the console messages spew into your session, but I've mostly
gotten used to that, myself.

> but the main point is different. why i'm not able to switch to
> virtual consoles from X? i'm sure it was possible before i started the system
> with serial console...

No idea; it works for me. I always set it to boot serial unattended,
in the bootblocks, so maybe there's a bug in "consdev com0"? Are you
sure your keyboard doesn't have a bad key?

> 2) break sequence is set to ~# (\x27\x01) in tip. is it possible to find these
> escape codes documented somewhere? i was searching the netbsd site, but i didn't
> find anything useful.

"man tip"? If you use "cu", "?~" after a carraige return displays a
little help screen that shows that "send break" is "~#", as in "tip".
("cu" only recognizes escapes after a carraige return.) That's also
documented in the cu(1) manpage.

Frederick