Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2004 22:24:38
--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Florian St=F6hr wrote:
> Hm, don't know how to enable a serial console on i386,

console(4) and boot_console(4) explain how to compile a kernel and
a bootloader with support for a serial console.

> but  perhaps this
> was in /etc/ttys ? Just a though, don't flame me if that's wrong. Think it
> was there, enable the tty00 entry and here we go.

Not quite. In /etc/ttys you configure the login prompts. So for a serial
console you'd usually disable console and ttyXX. You can leave them
enabled but you should make sure the settings baud, parity etc. don't
mess with your console settings used by the kernel. Also, make sure
you use an appropriate ``type'' (termcap entry).

On the remote machine you can use tip or cu to interact with the target
machine or just log /dev/ttyXX. If the target machine locks up, use
tip or cu to send a break sequence. This will drop you into ddb(4). You
can configure the sequence by changing hw.cnmagic with sysctl(8).

--=20
Christian

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j--