Subject: Re: serial console questions
To: Lubos Vrbka <shnek@tiscali.cz>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Florian_St=F6hr?= <netbsd@wolfnode.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/13/2004 21:36:25
On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Lubos Vrbka wrote:

> hi guys,
>
> i have a new (but very old) machine that i'd like to use as a serial console for
> debugging (multiprocessor i386 1.6ZH system crash thread in current-users).
> could anyone give me pointer(s) and advices for the beginner how to setup and
> use it?
>
> is it possible to have "dual console" (both serial and vga/keyboard)? is there
> any switch to the kernel during the startup that would select the appropriate
> console device? i don't want to have this setup permanent, it's just temporary
> arrangement for finding the possible problems causing my computer to lock...
>
> thanks for help. regards,
>
> --
> Lubos
> _@_"

Hm, don't know how to enable a serial console on i386, but  perhaps this
was in /etc/ttys ? Just a though, don't flame me if that's wrong. Think it
was there, enable the tty00 entry and here we go.

Since I use 'em on NetBSD/sgimips, I can just tell you to install minicom
on the "viewer", init the connection then turn on the "server" machine.

Florian