Subject: Re: live cd
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: M.Negovanovic <milosn@xtra.co.nz>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2004 15:33:21
On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 02:40:42PM -0800, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> > echo "/dev 10m"
> > mount_mfs -s 10m -o noatime,rw swap /dev
>
> /dev is MFS by default. It is built-in to NetBSD's init(8) and used if
> /dev/console is missing.
hmm cool i didn't know that! so basically if there is no /dev/console
init(8) will make /dev? leaving /dev/console as only device on the CD is
the idea i borrowed from "disk-less netbsd" documentation.

> > echo "Extracting /dev ..."
> > cd /dev && tar zxpf /.cdstuff/dev.tgz
> > echo "Extracting /etc ..."
> > cd /etc && tar zxpf /.cdstuff/etc.tgz
> > echo "Extracting /var ..."
> > cd /var && tar zxpf /.cdstuff/var.tgz
>
> I debated doing it that way. (See my code above to show how I just copy in
> place.) I don't use tarballs, because I can test running the image by just
> chrooting into it.
main reason for doing it like that is so i can avoid using "-o union" with
mount_mfs (check "Notes on building live CD" on your website, union is
used few times as an option passed to mount_mfs). u r right tho' managing
the image in chroot is easier with no tarballs.

> > As u can see there is no union option :). U simply mount over existing
>
> I use mount_null instead of union. Where is an example of using
> mount_union?
again, i was referring to your notes there.

Regards
Milos