Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/10/2004 01:57:55
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Todd Vierling wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
> : > > > > > echo "XTerm*ptyInitialErase: true" | xrdb -merge -
>
> : Huh? No, the default erase character is not DEL.
>
> The pty default for VERASE is indeed 0177.  See <sys/ttydefaults.h> for
> yourself.

So it appears, looking further into this...

> It's xterm(1) which is changing this to 0010 -- so you need to set the xrdb
> setting above to tell it *not* to do that.

I finally found my mistake!
I had written the ptyInitialErase wrong, so it didn't catch. And if I
tried -ie from an existing terminal, where erase was already bound to ^H,
it stayed at ^H...

I most humbly apologize!

So the whole thing hung on the fact that xterm was setting the erase
character, and what I really wanted was just for xterm do not do that.

I withdraw my complaints against NetBSD, and will just bash X from now on.

	Johnny