Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 13:07:28
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > > You're not reading what I'm writing. I'm not running the telnet command
> > > from a shell prompt. In this case, I', creating an xterm, which runs
> > > telnet. There is no shell, and no way to run stty before.
> >
> > echo "XTerm*ptyInitialErase: true" | xrdb -merge -
> >
> > or
> >
> > echo "*ptyInitialErase: true" | xrdb -merge -
> >
> > if your telnet starter's xterms have a different class name.

> *ptyInitialErase is a resource for binding what character should be send
> when pressing whatever key it figures. I already know what character I
> want to send.

No, that's not what it does. RTFM. What it does, is it turns off the
setting of the erase character to the termcap "bs" entry, leaving it
at the default, same as if you'd typed "stty erase ^?" before running
telnet.

It's a brute force hack, of course, making normal use of the
workstation awkward, which is why I elaborated on how to get DEL vs.
BS from the BackSpace key. The right thing to do, would be to tell the
remote that you're in an xterm. ("tset xterm"?)

Frederick