Subject: Re: Fileserver advice (hardware)
To: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 11:17:01
On Mon, 9 Feb 2004, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

: tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 96/256 bytes
: tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 128/512 bytes
: tlp0: transmit underrun; new threshold: 160/1024 bytes

I'd say "crappy tlp too" before blaming *all* of these on the pciide.
There are some rather reeking tlp, rtk, and sip chips out there.  I had the
same with a tlp (a real DEC, mind you) without any ATA disks, and tossed it
in favor of a fxp.  Though...

: Granted, the built-in SiS IDE may be particularly cheesy.

It is, very much so.  Even a Highpoint would be better.  8-)

Not to say ATA isn't one hell of a hack, of course; I'd prefer U320.  But
cost is often a mitigating factor, so ATA is a common choice these days.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@duh.org> <tv@pobox.com>