Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 11:47:23
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Jan Schaumann wrote:

> Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> wrote:

> > > Huh? How am I supposed to now whether he was referring to his one and only
> > > personal machine or a server with terminals or a single machine with
> > > multiple users? That's why I wrote "host-wide".
> >
> > No matter if it was my personal machine, or a server for hundreds of
> > users, the fact remains that on the next system update, that fix will be
> > lost.
>
> Ugh, you're saying that it's preferable to add something to hundreds or
> thousands of individual users files than to make one change in /etc ?

No no no. I'm saying that it is better to fix something once than to have
to fix it after every system update.
Obviously it is also better to only have to change things at one place
rather than many.

> I'd much rather add that file to the list of files that need to be taken
> care with when updating then having to fuzz with individual users
> preferences.

I'd rather have a solution that requires me to fix things only once, in
one place, and then it's taken care of.

	Johnny