Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Michael Piotrowski <mxp@dynalabs.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 02:13:36
Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se> writes:

> Yup. I always want capital letters if I press shift, no matter what caps
> lock happen to be. Just like typewriters way back to the 18th century do
> (and eveything with a keyboard up until the IBM PC).

Well, it ain't that simple, I'd say.  On a mechanical typewriter,
there really is no Caps Lock, but Shift Lock, i.e., the *entire*
keyboard is shifted.  Also, on a mechanical typewriter, if Shift Lock
is activated, Shift unlocks it.

On computing equipment in UNIX environments and elsewhere, there have
always been many different behaviors wrt. delete characters, Caps
Lock, etc. since a lot of different terminals have been used with UNIX
systems.  In fact, that's the root of the problem: It's not like we
had only one single behavior in the past that's now being replaced.
It has always been a mess.

> Obviously a lot of people now disagree with me, since this behaviour have
> changed in the last few years. :-)

I dunno.  As I said, I think there has never been agreement.  This way
it's possible that I don't agree with neither the defaults *nor* with
you :-)

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                               <mxp@dynalabs.de>
Public key at <http://www.dynalabs.de/mxp/pubkey.txt>