Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@update.uu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2004 01:31:51
On Sun, 8 Feb 2004, Christian Biere wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > > Put your favorite settings into /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm to make them
> > > the host-wide defaults.
>
> > Don't do that!? It'll be overwritten on the next system update.
>
> Huh? How am I supposed to now whether he was referring to his one and only
> personal machine or a server with terminals or a single machine with
> multiple users? That's why I wrote "host-wide".

No matter if it was my personal machine, or a server for hundreds of
users, the fact remains that on the next system update, that fix will be
lost.

> > A better way to do is, to do add such things to "~/.Xresources".
>
> That's not better, it's just different.

It's better to make a fix that survives a system update. :-)
But .Xresources are rather personal. Of course, I have also implemented
a system wide .Xresources file, but that's even more OT.

The problem is that xterminals are just one detail. You seem both to have
missed the point that I'm not talking explicitly about xterms.

> > > man xmodmap; Map Shift_L and Shift_R to Caps_Lock or vice-versa.
>
> > How will that help? I understand the complaint to be that "SHIFT",
> > with "CAPS" set, types small letters.
>
> IC, never noticed that because I never use the AOL key. I have
> xmodmap << EOF
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> EOF
> in my ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession.