Subject: Re: Creeping PCism...
To: None <netbsd-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Christian Biere <christianbiere@gmx.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/08/2004 16:50:14
--nFreZHaLTZJo0R7j

Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > Put your favorite settings into /etc/X11/app-defaults/XTerm to make them
> > the host-wide defaults.
=20
> Don't do that!? It'll be overwritten on the next system update.

Huh? How am I supposed to now whether he was referring to his one and only
personal machine or a server with terminals or a single machine with
multiple users? That's why I wrote "host-wide".=20

> A better way to do is, to do add such things to "~/.Xresources".

That's not better, it's just different.

> For example:
=20
> XTerm*VT100*Geometry:           100x32
> XTerm*deleteIsDEL:              true
> XTerm*background:               grey95
> XTerm*foreground:               blue4
> XTerm*saveLines:                255

Except for deleteIsDEL, that's quite OT.

> > > And while I'm at it. I also hate having SHIFT toggle the fifth bit, I=
 want
> > > it to always just set it.

> > man xmodmap; Map Shift_L and Shift_R to Caps_Lock or vice-versa.
=20
> How will that help? I understand the complaint to be that "SHIFT",
> with "CAPS" set, types small letters.

IC, never noticed that because I never use the AOL key. I have
xmodmap << EOF
remove Lock =3D Caps_Lock
EOF
in my ~/.xinitrc and ~/.xsession.