Subject: Re: Apology from list maintainer.
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang S. Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus20040205T102017@dailyplanet.dontspam.wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/05/2004 10:39:36
hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> I guess from now on I'll have to carefully read all of my spam instead
> of just skimming it.

Thanks for being our human spam filter!  I was wondering why I never
got spam directly from mail.isc.netbsd.org .  I do get spam to the
aliases I setup here for receiving the mailing lists, but all if it is
from spammers sending directly to the aliases.  I assume that there is
(or was) some way for spammers to generate a list of the mailinglist
subscribers.

One technique spammers are now using to beat baysean filters is to
slather the spam with technical keywords that up to this point were
rarely found in spam.  Not only will it fool the programmatic filters,
but it will probably also slip by many a moderator.  How long before
we start seeing stuff like:

    Want a bigger "kernel-thread" that will really please her
    processor?  (You know what we mean!)  Try our blue-tooth
    WIFI-agra.  blah blah blah...

-wolfgang
--
Wolfgang S. Rupprecht 		     http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/
       The above "From:" address is valid.  Don't mess with it.