Subject: Re: ices or muse for icecast, are any working under BSD?
To: Brian <bmcewen@comcast.net>
From: Erik Osheim <erik@plastic-idolatry.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2004 16:04:10
> IF anyone has got either ices 0.3, ices 2.0, or muse 0.8.1 working
> under BSD (I'm running NetBSD on Cobalt-MIPS) and wants to talk about
> setup, please drop me an email off-list and I can send more details.

I tried for a long time to get ices 0.3 to work... it looked like a
problem with -ldl being used to dynamically link other libraries (libdl
is used a lot on linux, but doesn't exist on netbsd), removing -ldl and
the error checking allowed configure to run, but the build failed
horribly. I wanted to try to fix this but never had the time. No clue
about ices2 (until I get 30G of mp3s re-ripped, I can't really use
ices2).

I think the fundamental problem with ices/netbsd might be that netbsd's
pthread implementation vs. what ices expects to see.

> However, icecast is  pretty useless without something to stream audio
> to it, and I'm unable to get any of the above to compile, although
> ices 0.3 passes configure.  None of the streaming tools for icecast
> are in pkgsrc, although libogg and libvorbis as well as vorbis-tools
> and ogg-tools are there (and compile fine on my system).

Just so you know, liveice, darkice, and xmms-liveice can all do
streaming to icecast, and are in pkgsrc (I presume they build
properly). Also, libshout 2.0 is in pkgsrc, and I was also able to
compile the python bindings (python-shout 0.1) to work with it out of
the box (downloaded from icecast.org). So there are definitely was to
get your audio to icecast. If you require ices or muse only, and can't
use anything else, then I guess you're still up a creek, but it is
definitely *not* true that there aren't any streamers in pkgsrc.

I've been working on setting up an icecast stream from NetBSD for
awhile (currently limited by available bandwidth). I will email you
off-list if I get anything working (the project I currently have is
python-based, and can successfully stream mp3s to icecast, but has no
effective GUI).

-- Erik