Subject: Re: difficulty using cvs to retrieve security patches
To: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2004 20:54:06
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Anne Bennett wrote:

> At some point in my experimentation I discovered something that suggested
> I had to use the "pserver" method (whatever that is), so I tried this:
>
>   cvs -t -d :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot \
>     update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind

Good. It might also work to do "CVS_RSH=ssh; export CVS_RSH", but
pserver is fine. By default, "cvs" tries to use "rsh" as the transport
protocol, but no server permits that. The release source tarballs may
be set up to use pserver by now (or they should be).

> and this time I seem to have connected at least, but:
>
>   cvs update: notice: main loop with CVSROOT=:pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.NetBSD.org:/cvsroot
>   S-> unlink(dist/bind/CVS/Entries.Static)
>    -> unlink(CVS/Entries.Static)
>   cvs server: Updating dist/bind
>   S-> rename(CVS/Entries.Backup,CVS/Entries)
>   S-> unlink(CVS/Entries.Log)
>   cvs server: cannot open directory /cvsroot/basesrc/dist/bind: No such file or directory
>   cvs server: skipping directory dist/bind

You're running afoul of the fact that the repository has been
re-arranged since your checkout was made. The following announcement
included a little script to fix up your checkout:

  http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-announce/2002/12/19/0000.html

Hope that helps.

Frederick