Subject: Re: menu-creator
To: Roman Kennke <roman@ontographics.com>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2004 17:04:12
On Thu, 22 Jan 2004, Roman Kennke wrote:

> On freebsd.org is a draft for a menu specification, which makes menu

freedesktop.org

> handling quite easy: http://freedesktop.org/Standards/menu-spec . An
> application package only needs to drop a .desktop file in
> /usr/pkg/share/applications (on NetBSD) to get a menu entry in
> freedesktop.org -aware desktops. I know, at least Gnome and KDE do
> recognize them. So maybe a menu-creation tool is not really needed, but
> someone should 1. tell the application developers/packagers to provide
> such a .desktop-file OR 2. create a package, which places menu entries in
> /usr/pkg/share/applications
> The .desktop files are pretty easy to understand.

That was also already discussed on tech-pkg. (Unless I discussed it
off-list with pkgsrc developer(s)).

Need to add:

3. create (or find) programs (and package)  to convert them to menu
formats understood by icewm, blackbox, etc.

Using that specification is fine too. Please consider contacting
developers to add menu file(s) to their software downloads.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/