Subject: Re: difficulty using cvs to retrieve security patches
To: Anne Bennett <anne@porcupine.montreal.qc.ca>
From: Aaron W. Hsu <noorah@aaronhsu.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/22/2004 18:53:20
> |  To update from CVS, re-build, and re-install named:
> |    # cd src
> |    # cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind
> |
> |    # cd usr.sbin/bind
> |    # make USETOOLS=no cleandir dependall
> |    # make USETOOLS=no install
>
> But when I
>
>   cd /usr/src
>   cvs update -d -P -r netbsd-1-6 dist/bind usr.sbin/bind
>
> I get:
>
>   anoncvs.netbsd.org: Connection refused
>   cvs [update aborted]: end of file from server (consult above messages if any)
> At some point in my experimentation I discovered something that suggested
> I had to use the "pserver" method (whatever that is), so I tried this:
> I tried to retrieve files mentioned in several different advisories, but
> got either "No such file or directory" or "is no longer in the repository"
> in each case.
>
> What on earth am I doing wrong?

If you already have the source checked out, then the updating is quite
easy. The problem with your first command is that you are trying to
access things on a link that is meant for ssh, or at least that's what
it seems to me.

Starting with a clean check out of the source from the Multi-cd that I
have, this is the procedure I follow (taken from
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/updating.html>) the following
procedure, since the needed server information is already stored in the
CVS files.

{1} cd /usr/src/
{2} env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs update -dP
(Build Kernel)
{...} make build

This will rebild the entire userland and install it, so you need root
permissions.

Basically, I would use ssh rather than pserver, as it is a better
protocol in my opinion. Read

<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/updating.html#summary>

For a quick overview.

I hope this helps.

Of course, things are different if you need to checkout the source, then
you need to do a get or whatever it is (co?) and retrieve them from your
choseen server, using the proper protocol (in this case, it's ssh) by
specifying it in the CVS_RSH variable.

--
Aaron Hsu
noorah@aaronhsu.com ICQ:153114301